15 June 2011

June Huntsman Day

Yesterday, Tuesday, 14 June 2011, was, what we've come to call, a Huntsman day. The Huntsman Cancer Institute and Hospital is a wonderful place with many wonderful people employed there. As great as it is, I do not look forward to these days. Perhaps it is because I now have a realization that our lives can be changed with a few simple words within a few short minutes.

Ford checked in for his PET scan at 6:30 am. He did well and was actually done earlier than previous times. Instead of staying in SLC until the 2 pm appointment with the doctor, we drove back to Provo in order to take care of some more details of moving.

We have moved out of our very large Grand Ave. home into a much smaller home. It, in the long run, will be a very good thing. Right now, we are very exhausted and still not completely done. A few things remain in the garage on Grand and a huge amount of items stored for a yard sale this Saturday. I had hoped that we would be able to go through more of the things that we moved in order to add to the sale, but that is just not going to happen.

Anyway, back to the Huntsman day. We arrived back at HCI in plenty of time for our 2 pm appointment, however the doctor was running behind schedule. She walked in to our room about an hour and minutes later. When she walked in, I could tell from her demeanor that all was not as we might have hoped. She asked the routine questions and gave Ford a thorough check over. Ford's RBC count is down and his creatine levels were a bit off. She then brought up the scan results. The thickness in the stomach where the MALT lymphoma is located has increased. The color that indicates activity levels of the lymphoma has changed also. These show increased activity. Being very near two lymph glands, the doctor is concerned. She told us that she thinks it is possible that the area is beginning to ooze. While it is not a huge increase in thickness or activity, it is an increase. She would like us to consider radiation therapy. She believes from her experience, that the MALT can be totally eradicated with radiation. We have the option of not doing radiation and seeing how things go, however, she would like to do some preventative measures (the radiation) before there is an emergency situation. She works with one doctor at HCI for this therapy. We have scheduled an appointment to consult with him next Tuesday. Then we will decide what we need to do. The therapy is every day, Monday through Friday for four weeks. It is a two hour round trip drive and the radiation treatment is only minutes in duration. We will do what we need to do, as always.

Not what we would have liked to hear, but it is what it is and we will do what we need to do and all will work out.

1 comment:

  1. We will pray for you to know the right thing to do. I am only sorry to hear that it didn't come out as well as you hoped.

    ReplyDelete