12 October 2009

One Procedure Done

The first procedure is done and out of the way. Traffic into SLC was a bear this morning. Two major accidents and a couple of minor ones had traffic pretty backed up. Plus there was some debris on the road that I could not avoid and I worried all the rest of the way up to the U of U Med Center that something might be damaged. It turned out okay (just like Ford kept reassuring me that it would).

The IV was a little hard getting threaded this morning. It is sort of a conundrum that being well hydrated makes finding veins easier, yet, of course, for this type of procedure one has to be fasting for at least 12 hours before hand, thus creating dehydration. With a warm towel over his arm, moving the position of his arm, and calling in a nurse that seems to be an expert at placing IV's, things worked out.

The whole process beginning to end took about an hour and 45 minutes. In recovery, Ford was more alert and awake than he has been when the procedure was done in Provo. And they didn't let him lollygag around. They got him up and going, told him to get dressed, and we wheeled him to the car in a wheelchair (he was still a bit unsteady on his feet). He did begin having chills and it took a while to get him warmed up once we got into the car with the heater turned on high.

The one other thing that took me a while to realize was happening was an apparent reaction to the sedatives that Ford had been given. His nose began to run and he began sneezing. By the time we arrived home, he had begun to itch. As soon as we got into the house, he took some allergy medicine and then laid down to take a nap. This helped quite a bit.

We called the U of U Med Center and spoke with the nurse in charge. She was curious what meds Ford had been given at the Central Utah Clinic Surgical Center for his previous EGD. When I was allowed into the recovery area after the previous procedure, Ford's arms had large red blotches on them from wrist to elbow. At that time, the speculation was that he was having an histamine reaction. We called the Central Utah Clinic and a wonderful nurse looked up Ford's record. The common narcotic given for both procedures turns out to be Propofol. Looks like we get to add a sensitivity to Ford's medical records.

He is doing well this evening, but looking forward to a good night's sleep.

Tomorrow he is scheduled for a PET scan. This is scheduled a little later than today's procedure was, so we are hoping for better traffic conditions. I'm a real wimp on the roads. I'm praying that the storms predicted for tomorrow either pass us up or aren't very severe. Brrr. I feel winter coming on.

More updates as news happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment