14 June 2009

What's Ahead

Not much new to report. Ford was able to work at his office at BYU on Thursday and Friday for several hours. Although he came home exhausted, I believe that mentally is was very good for him. He also worked at home for some hours each day.

Ford has had to tone down on the exercising because of the blisters on his feet, but those are healing nicely. It also hasn't been easy to walk with all the thunderstorms we've been having. The plus side of the rain is the air is clear at least for a little while. This helps big time with the allergies.

One other thing that Ford has been doing is taking a few minutes now and then to rest and cat nap. This doesn't seem to affect his night time sleep. It does give him a bit of a boost when needed.

We are gearing up for Ford's sixth chemo treatment on Tuesday. Because this is suppose to be the final treatment in this series, and because all has gone pretty smoothly the past several treatments, we are planning to not stay overnight in SLC, but come home and enjoy our own bed. Then the followup labs will be done at UVRMC Outpatient Services. That will be a nice change.

Yesterday Ford was able to make a quick trip into the Provo Temple to retrieve his clothing. The Temple will be closing after next week for the annual cleaning and it is preferred that all the lockers are empty. This was a treat for Ford. He was able to actually be in the Temple and was able to see many of the workers he has worked with. He was careful about contact and did the elbow bumps as a greeting instead of shaking hands. Thank you to Brother H., Ford's supervisor, for your care and support. We both appreciate you.

As far as I can see, one of the biggest challenge in the next several weeks (along with the normal ones) will be patience. With the end of treatment in sight (at least for now) and the building up of his immune system, we will both need to pace ourselves and not try to jump right into a lot of outside activities before we are sure "the coast is clear."

If indeed the chemo has been successful and the Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma has been cleared up, it will be wonderful news.

The reality of it all is that Ford has had two kinds of lymphoma. The second, the low grade MALT lymphoma, until a cure is found, will still be there. Ford is aware that this entails a lifetime of vigilance. When we first received the diagnosis of the lymphomas, it was theorized that the DLBC developed from the MALT. Now we will learn what it takes to try and not have this happen again. We believe, from what we have been told and from what we have read, that if the aggressive intermediate lymphoma (DLBC) is in remission, Ford will be able resume most, if not all, of the activities that he cares to engage in.

The learning experience continues. At least that good old learning curve has returned to more of a curve instead of a 90 degree angle. (-:

Happy Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment