08 April 2009

Warning, Warning, Warning

The title for this blog came from scenes most all have seen where the lights start to flash and the voice is sounding, "Warning..." alerting us to an impending change in status.

Well, the lights in my senses are going off and that voice is sounding in my head. The delay in chemo treatment is going to turn out to be a good thing for now, I believe.

This morning when it was time for Ford's Lovenox, we saw that he has a large red circle (all color filled in) about 12 inches in diameter on his stomach. Imagine the face of a clock with the belly button as the center where the hand of the clock are attached. Umm. We're betting that this is not a normal thing. We now have a call in to the doctor waiting to receive some instructions.

Also, we have a bevy of other questions stacking up resulting from yesterday's experience up at the HCI.

If anyone reading this blog has experience, knowledge, or opinions about Neulasta, will you please comment. If you would prefer not to have your comment posted, let us know that also and we will keep it private.

Thank you all a TON! And please keep Ford in your prayers!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, good thing you didn't have the chemo yesterday. You both had bad feelings about it and I am impressed with the way the Holy Ghost worked to prepare you for the change in schedule. When you were told you had to wait a week, you were not too disappointed.

    Hope this puzzle gets solved soon. Anthony wants to know if Neulasta is better than Old-Lasta.

    Still hoping and praying, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had several Neulasta shots while I was on chemo. They made my bones ache a bit and for that reason I didn't really like them:) Although the norm is to give growth factor shots like Neulasta an Neupogen when counts are low, many studies are suggesting it's not necessary. Here are two of them:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17459049?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.P ubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles& logdbfrom=pubmed

    The first 3 months of chemo I needed 1 shot each month. The last 3 months I decided not to get the shots. My counts got as low as .3, but I never got sick. I was very careful about washing/cooking my foods and washed my hands constantly. I even taught kindergarten for a month and didn't get sick:)

    If you have any other questions you're more than welcome to email me

    royandbrenna at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I just realized that one of those studies I posted was the wrong one...sorry. And they both relate to Hodgkin's and not Non-Hodgkin's--I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes:)

    ReplyDelete